volunteer code of conduct
INCCA would like this humanitarian project to be a meaningful and memorable experience for all our volunteers and particularly our Peruvian colleagues. Please comply with the following organization guidelines:
- You will be working as a guest in Peru. Volunteers will conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times and honor Peruvian ethnic, religious and cultural differences with respect and understanding.
- Please respect Peruvian medical practice and local standards of care. Consequently, final medical decisions reside with Peruvian health care providers who can insure appropriate triage and follow up care.
- Please resist the temptation to reinvent the wheel while working in the clinic and the laboratory. Administration, logistics and workflow are determined by the Peruvian staff. Do not expect working conditions or ergonomics to mirror those in your place of employment.
- Volunteers displaying unprofessional behavior, inadequate medical skills or other acts not conducive with the goals of CerviCusco may be terminated from the humanitarian project at any time.
- We are health care providers who want to help Peruvian women. We all have different medical and professional backgrounds and degrees. We expect a team approach and ask that as such, all team members are to treat each other with mutual respect and courtesy.
- All volunteers will have a chance to utilize their skills to their maximum ability as we prepare a work schedule that designates your role for each day. These assignments will rotate based on the volunteer’s skill level and language ability and where they are most needed.
- Please follow the instructions and suggestions of the on-site coordinator and team leader (pathology volunteers). Due to electrical voltage issues, volunteers MUST have their supervision and permission before plugging in the microscopes.
- Any complaints, conflicts or suggestions are to be brought to the attention of Dr. Daron Ferris, the CerviCusco Medical Director or the Volunteer Team Leader.